Module 1 – Basics and Key Challenges
The “essence” of family businesses
- Ice-breaking: round table of participants presenting themselves;
- What makes family business unique
- From family businesses to families in business
- Facts & Figures: Economic and social contribution of families in business
Success for families in businesses: main challenges
- The meaning of success for families in business
- Best practices of successful families in business
- Understanding the challenges to succeed: cohesion, generational transistion and growth
The Cohesion Challenge
- The overlap of family, ownership and management: a double-edge sword;
- Family decision-making process: best practices to implement an effective decision-making process, that meets company needs and balance the family role.
The Generational Transition Challenge
- Main players:
- The founder and the generational shadow;
- Generation to generation: the succession process;
- How to effectively plan, manage and control the generational succession to foster business continuity and renewal;
- The CEO succession plan.
The Growth Challenge
- Understanding the tensions between control-liquidity and growth
- Culture and processes needed for growth
- Organic growth vs Acquisitions
- Implementing a dividend policy that works
Start your family Road-Map
- Team work.
Module 2 – Inspirational on-site experience
Competitive Strategy & Business Model
- Understand the different sources of performance and competitive advantage;
- Understand, analyse, and assess the dynamics of business models and the need for business model innovation;
- Being able to recognize and implement appropriate strategies in a changing environment for family businesses.
Company visits to family-owned businesses
Module 3 – Keys for value over generations
- Family Business Financial structure;
- Managing debt in the famiy business environment;
- Wealth diversification versus Business Diversification;
- Private Equity and Venture Capital: financial instruments to foster growth and stems obstacles of the succession process;
- The role of private banking and family offices in supporting family business.
- Main challenges in family business professionalization process;
- Different process of professionalization: how to attract family and non-family talents;
- Professionalization process and organizational change;
- Family managers: the stewardship theory and the Socio-Emotional Wealth;
- The role of non-family manager: career plans and rewarding policies to build and retain a valuable Top Management Team.
Setting up Governance
- Governance Models for Family Business;
- Tools for governance efficacy;
- Board of directors and Family Council;
- Family Code of Conduct.
- Ownership planning and shareholders agreements.
Participants meet their families and discuss about their family business road-map: plan, objectives, task and roles.
Module 4 – Your Values, Your Vision
Sustainability and Philanthropy
- Family values and ethical code;
- Ethics and Social Responsibility as valuable tools to consolidate corporate brand.
- Social Impact strategies in family business;
- Legal aspects of social impact strategies;
- The role of foundations in value creation.
The Communication Process in Family Business
- Communications and speech act theory;
- Internal Communications;
- How to write a press release.
- Digital communications;
- Focus on Strategic Financial Communication & Crisis Communication.
Family Road-Map Presentations