He studies how individuals and teams, even though who operate in complex contexts and ambiguous situations can correctly pursue and achieve both personal and organizational goals like operation safety and economic efficiency, especially when they deal with crisis. Research fields within that broad “research question” are leadership and flight leadership, decision making under uncertainty, evolution, transformation and learning processes, individual and team cognition, organizational awareness, organizational mindfulness, organizational reliability and validity. Human-Technology interaction.
Since 2008 is Visiting Professor of Change Management and Affiliate Researcher at Scuola Superiore S.Anna di Pisa (S. Anna School for Advanced Study); since 2012 Visiting Professor of Strategic Human Resource Management at IESEG School of Management in Paris and Lille. Since 2014, Research Associate at D-MTEC – Chair of Technology and Innovation Management, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, (ETH), Zurich; since 2011, Visiting Professor of Change in Complex Organization at Advanced Institute for Flight Safety, Italian Air Force, Rome
Since 2012 he has yearly spent around a month at MIT Sloan as visiting scholar. He cooperates especially with Prof. John Sterman for improving the way to teach people to manage complexity through learning system dynamic.
2002 – 2015, SDA Professor of Leadership and Managerial Development at SDA Bocconi School of Management; 2012 – 2015, Adjunct professor of Organization Theory at Bocconi University; 2003 – 2006, Vice-director of Center for Research in Organization (CRORA), Bocconi University.
Since 1994 he has developed innovative teaching methods, whose the most relevant is Flying an Experience© lab, to help people learn how to manage group interaction in complex environments. This lab is based on simulation and allows teachers and researcher to observe behaviors adopting scientific models and quantitative performance measurements. Since many years it has been adopted in some Universities both for teaching and for research in learning, decision making and change processes.
He cooperates with Robert Simon, Senior Director of the Center for Medical Simulation in Boston, in exploring new ways to teach effective leadership for who operates in critical contexts. With Prof. Luigi Marengo of Luiss University he is studying impact of Artificial Intelligence and business analytics on decision making processes and leadership.
He wrote some books on management and scientific publications.
Before 2002, when he joint Bocconi University and Business School, he had been engaged in applied research and in industrial innovation projects. At the beginning his interests were in measurement theory where he published some papers; then in application of Human Factor research in industrial production processes and finally in managing change while people are dealing with technology innovation. From 1988 to 1991 he had been in ST Microelectronics; from 1991 to 1993 Adjunct Researcher at Faculty of Medicine, Milan University; from 1993 to 1998 at MEMC Electronic Materials and from 1998 to 2002 as Senior Manager in Accenture.
Book on Management and Behaviors
- “Leadership Execution. Emotion management through flight technique” (Forthcoming, expected in fall 2016), EGEA
- “Change Management”, in S. Salvemini (Edited by), Organization, EGEA, 2016
- “Change management. Le regole per il governo del cambiamento,” EGEA, Milano, 2010 (English title: “Change Management. The golden rules to manage organizational change”
- “Manager ad alta quota. Storie di volo ad uso dei leader di domani”, Guerini e Associati, Milano, 2007 (English title: “High Altitude Managers. Flight tales for forward leaders”
- “Il mutuo casa, la banca, e il cliente. Esigenze e aspettative delle famiglie italiane tra percezioni, consulenza e comunicazione”, Con Di Giuli, Omarini, Monzeglio, Editrice Bancaria, 2007 (english title:”The mortgage, the bank and the customer. The needs form mortgage and the relative expectations of Italian family among perception, bank advisory and communication.”
Research paper (peer reviewed) on management and behaviors
- Provera, Montefusco, Canato, “A no blame approach to organizational learning”, British Journal of Management, British Journal of Management, Vol. 21, 1057–1074 (2010)
- Montefusco, A., Provera, B., Canato, A., (2005), “Apprendere dall’errore: un approccio no blame”, Studi Organizzativi, nr. 1, 2005
- Canato A., Montanari F., Montefusco A., Chiappa D., Garbini M., Mandelli A., “Fidarsi è bene se sei affidabile”, Economia e management, nr. 4 2004
Conference papers (peer reviewed) on management and behaviors
- Montefusco, A, Canato, A., 2013, How to educate, develop and sustain mindfulness? An education experiment about a sustainable awareness of complexity”, EGOS 2013, Montreal
- Montefusco A., Cerutti M.P., Canato A., Provera B., “Un’ipotesi di misura della mente collettiva basata sull’entropia dei set di eventi da condividere in un gruppo operativo”, Workshop di organizzazione 2005, Milan
- Montefusco A., Provera B., Canato A., “Apprendere dall’errore: un approccio no blame”, Workshop di organizzazione 2005, Milan
- Provera B., Montefusco A., Canato A., “A no blame approach to organizational learning”, Egos 2005, Berlin
- Provera B., Montefusco A., Canato A., “The no blame organization”, Academy of management Conf. 05, Hawai
- Canato A, Ferri G., Montefusco A., “Can business learn from High reliability organizations? Ethnografic evidence from air traffic control units”, EGOS 2004, Lubjana
- Canato A, Ferri G., Montefusco A., “La visione condivisa come risorsa: primi risultati di un’analisi empirica sul controllo aereo a Malpensa”, Congresso associazione italiana di Scienze Cognitive, Ivrea, 2004
- “La capacità decisionale e di giudizio nel controllo del traffico aereo”, Montefusco, Garbini, Quarto workshop dei ricercatori e dei docenti di organizzazione aziendale, Florence 2003
- “Un prototipo di sistema di apprendimento per la formazione integrata dell’anestesista al compito”, Cacciari, Mandelli, Carmagnini, Montefusco, Convegno BIOSYS ‘98
- “Dalle misure alla produzione: un percorso per diffondere la cultura delle misure in azienda”, Montefusco, Costamagna, Giornata di studio Ass. Naz. It. Per L’Automazione, Atti, 1997 – Memoria vincitrice del premio ANIPLA 1997
Books on uncertainty, measurment theory, probability
- “ARX, An Optimal Parametric Stochastic Filter”, A. Montefusco, C. Colli, M. Maffè, in Advanced Mathematical Tools In Metrology I, edited by Ciarlini, Cox, Monaco, Pavese, World Scientific, 1994
- “Monitoring an Industrial Process: Bootstrap Estimation of the Accuracy of Quality Parameters”, Ciarlini, Gigli, Regogliosi, Moiraghi, Montefusco, in Advanced Mathematical Tools In Metrology II, edited by Ciarlini, Cox, Pavese, Richter, World Scientific, 1996
- “Stochastic drift models for the determination of calibration intervals”, Tavella, Bobbio, Costamagna, Montefusco, in Advanced Mathematical Tools In Metrology III, edited by Ciarlini, Cox, Pavese, Richter, World Scientific, 1997
Scientific paper (peer reviewed) on uncertainty, measurment theory, probability
- “Monitoring the Calibration Status of a Measuring Instrument by a Stochastic Model”, Bobbio, Tavella, Montefusco, Costamagna, I.E.E.E. Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement, 1997
- “Time-variant AR spectral estimation in the study of vasovagal syncope”, A.Bianchi, L.Mainardi, R.Furlan, S.Piazza, A.Montefusco, A.Malliani, S.Cerutti, 14ø Annual international conference of the I.E.E.E. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Paris, October 29- November 1 1992
- “Time variant spectral estimation of haert rate variability signal”, A.Bianchi, L.Mainardi, M.G.Signorini, S.Cerutti, F.Lombardi, A.Montefusco, A.Malliani., I.E.E.E. Computers in Cardiology, Venezia, 23-26 September 1991; ATTI.
Conference papers (peer reviewed) on uncertainty, measurment theory, probability
- “La qualità e la metrologia in azienda”, Costamagna, Montefusco, Tavella, Bobbio, XIX conv. Naz. AICQ, 1997
- “Improving Quality in Wafer Production via Modelling”, S. Bittanti, L.Moiraghi, A.Montefusco, Congresso Nazionale Società Italiana di Matematica Applicata e industriale, May 1996, Atti
- “Estimation of Industrial Process Capabilities: some proposals and studies to overcam the obstacle of non-normal distribution”, M.Lovera L.Moiraghi, A.Montefusco, Congresso Nazionale Società Italiana di Matematica Applicata e industriale, May 1996, Atti
- “When to Recalibrate a Measurement Equipment? A possible new approach to the determination of optimal calibration interval”, A. Bobbio, Costamagna, A.Montefusco, P.Tavella, Congresso Nazionale Società Italiana di Matematica Applicata e industriale, May 1996, Atti
- “A stochastic Approach to the Determination of Calibration Interval”, A. Bobbio, A.Montefusco, P.Tavella, Internation Measurement Technolgy Conference, June 1996, Brussels, Atti
- “Valutazione della criticità dei parametri: un approccio F.M.E.A. al controllo (statistico) di processo”, A. Montefusco, XIII Covegno Nazionale A.I.C.Q., Varese, November 1994, Atti
- Problems of Quality Assurance in Silicon Wafers Production”, P. Lupano, A. Montefusco, S. Bittanti, P. Bolzern, II Congresso nazionale della Società Italiana di Matematica Applicata e Industriale, Anacapri, June 1994.