A seminar organized by Luiss Business School Amsterdam in collaboration with Center for International Higher Education (CIHE) and European Association for International Education (EAIE)
Higher education is a complex global enterprise. More than 220 million students study at some 23,000 higher education institutions worldwide. Universities are the single most important source of basic research worldwide, while at the same time educating millions for increasingly knowledge-based economies.
The higher education enterprise has undergone dramatic and unprecedented change in the past 70 years—going from a relatively small elite sector to educating more than 70 percent of young people in wealthy countries and a third or more in most of the rest of the world.
Massification has been the hallmark of higher education worldwide. At the same time, the global knowledge economy depends on universities for research, communication, and education. Higher education has also become more international.
Recently, geopolitical tensions, health pandemics and climate change challenge higher education worldwide. In this seminar, we will address the development of international(ization of) higher education and the implications of geopolitical tensions.
Professor Philip Altbach, a leading scholar in international higher education and founding director of the Boston College Center for International higher Education, will introduce the theme, followed by comments and discussions with other scholars and practitioners and the participants.
- Hans de Wit, Professor Emeritus and Distinguished Fellow, Center for International Higher Education
- Piet Van Hove, President, European Association for International Education
- Mathias Falkenstein, Professor of Practice in Higher Education Management, Luiss Business School
- Prof. Dr. Philip G. Altbach, Research Professor, Distinguished Fellow and Founding Director Center for International Higher Education, Boston College, USA
- Laura Rumbley, Director Knowledge Development and Research, European Association for International Education
- Jon Chew, Navitas
- Stephen Orme, Senior Vice President, Studyportals
- Christof van Mol, Tilburg University
WHEN: Thursday, June 22nd, 2023
WHAT TIME? 2:00 PM to 6:30 PM CEST (including network cocktail)
WHERE: Luiss Business School Amsterdam Hub, Nieuwe Herengracht 103, 1011 RZ