If you are a citizen of a country of the European Union (EU), Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Andorra, the Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino and the Vatican City, you can stay in Italy for more than 3 months without any formalities. You only need to have an identity document valid for travel to Italy.
If you are a non-EU exchange student, wishing to stay in Italy for no longer than 90 days, you may need an entry visa or not according to your nationality. Please check the necessity to obtain a Visa on the following website.
If you are a non-EU exchange student, wishing to stay in Italy for longer than 90 days, you must apply for an entry visa for study purposes (select Study – EXCHANGE AND MOBILITY PROGRAMME as reason for your stay) and upon arrival to Italy you must apply for a residence permit.
How to apply for a residence permit in three steps:
You must apply for a residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) within 8 working days following your arrival to Italy.
STEP 1: Application at the Post office
In order to start the procedure, you have to obtain a Yellow kit from a Post office (Sportello Amico). The kit is an envelope containing the forms and instructions on how to fill them in. You can ask for a Kit at the International office of LUISS Business School.
Having correctly completed and signed the forms, you must go to a post office (Sportello Amico) and deliver:
- the forms in an unsealed envelope;
- a duty stamp (marca da bollo) worth € 16 (available at any Tobacco shop);
- original passport, the copies of the pages containing your personal details and the entry visa and stamp and the copies of any other pages with visas and entry and exit stamps;
- a copy of the letter of invitation issued by the LUISS BS and presented to obtain the visa from the Italian Embassy abroad;
- a copy of the health and accident insurance policy covering the whole period of stay in Italy;
- a copy of the documents proving you have the funds needed to cover living cost in Italy (for 2019 the benchmarks are: minimum € 458.00 per month). You can submit the same documents you provided for the visa application: e.g. a bank account statement or, a scholarship statement with the details of its amount, duration and issuing body.
When delivering the application to the post office, you will have to pay:
- the Electronic Residence Permit (PSE) production cost (€ 30,46);
- the Residence Permit fee (€ 40);
- the service charge for submitting the application via registered mail (€ 30).
STEP 2: Appointment at the Immigration Office
When delivering the kit to the post office, you will be given an appointment at the Immigration Office (Ufficio Immigrazione) of the Police station (Questura) for photographic identification. On the document delivered by the Post office you will find all the relevant information: the address of the Immigration office, the date of your appointment, the documents to bring with you. It is very important that you keep this appointment!
You have also to keep the receipt given by the post office: it proves that you have applied for the residence permit and thus you stay legally in Italy.
STEP 3: Residence permit collection
You can track the status of your application, after the appointment at the Police station (Questura) by entering the code allocated to the file during the appointment or the insured mail number (the password written on the receipt given by the post office) on the State Police website.
Attention: Immigration Office is not going to notify you when your permit is ready via SMS. However, around 45 days after the photographic identification, you can go to the Police station of your home district to check whether your Residence Permit is ready for collection. In case it is ready, you will be able to collect it immediately.
Having collected your residence permit, you must deliver a copy to the International office of LUISS Business School via email.
If you have questions on how to fill in the Yellow kit, please ask for support of the International office of LUISS Business School, by booking an appointment.